Tuesday, March 24, 2009

So with the photo post below, since blogger is being boogley, the first photo is of the number 8 and number 9 batters for India, who stabilised the innings, and then won the match. Yes the sun came out after the torrential down pour we had earlier in the day, and a very exciting match resulted in an upset win for the ladies in blue, well done girls.

Then there is the shot of the critters on my bed with their scarves, since summer has returned to Sydney with 30 degree days ...

These are just a few shots so you know I am still around, and still taking photos.

The last photo is the angel scarf for ISE7. Hello to the chick waiting for this one.

Friday, March 20, 2009

sock roulette

sock roulette
Originally uploaded by Gemma_Anne
So here is the sock which was shown around at Knitter's Guild last night too. Everyone was thoroughly impressed with your workmanship. It truly is a lovely sock. Now to knit its mate (after the angel scarf).

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sock Roulette

It's here, and better still, it's forcing me to learn a new skill. My sock is a slipped stitch pattern, looking very good indeed. Thanks Ann, plus she put in some extra gifts, my favorite would have to be the needle point covers, green monsters, tee hee, so very me.

Labels: , ,

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

the scientist

Catherine was recently interviewed as a representative of Women in Science (she's taking part in a panel tonight on the same topic), and she was perfect to interview as it's also the International Year of Astronomy.

It is pub knitting night tonight, and apparently also trivia night at the pub, at West Ryde Hotel. If you are doing nothing, we have a table booked, come along.


Friday, March 06, 2009

Thursday 5 March .......

I thought my home was on fire last night.

Two of my children smoke. They do not smoke in the house. There are butts left around sometimes carelessly, and there have been a couple of fires in ashtrays when butts are not extinguished carefully before being tossed away. But last night was a doosy! The boy (26) fell asleep on the couch watching television, so I turned the TV off and left him there. At some point he woke, and decided that before going to bed he was going to have a smoke (nothing unusual so far). To dispose of the butt he tossed it into the old (superseded) BBQ (one of those 70’s brick models with the thick iron plate on top). When sticks from the gum trees in the back yard, fall they are often thrown into this BBQ by the offspring and at some point they are either burned or I get them out and into the compost bin. (Can you see where this is leading …. ) Ben’s cigarette set fire to the wood in the BBQ, but not with a roar he would notice, oh no, with a nice slow smoulder, which properly ignited some time later, after he had gone to bed. (Stop throwing those cigarette butts away out of your car windows people, it really causes fires) so far so bad.

When we had the back patio area covered we noticed it acted like a chimney with the old BBQ, and so we bought a new BBQ and resolved to pull the old faithful apart and dispose of it. Time marched on and we were still going to get rid of it, but had not had the time. So add a nice gentle, westerly breeze, BBQ fire, open patio glass door and at the eastern side of the house, my bedroom with its open windows to draw the breeze, and what do you get??? Heart failure when Bandit, the cat jumped on me and alerted me to the fact that it was somewhat smoky in our room. Add adrenalin, and the fact the smoke alarms (2) did not go off, and you have a recipe for a very alert rest of the night while I found out if everyone was ok, and where the bloody fire was. Why yes, I did wake the boyo up and point out to him the grey smoke all through the living areas of the house and most delightfully, my bedroom. And we were lucky, the gas bottle from the new (real) BBQ sits behind the outside chairs, right next to the old BBQ, really lucky.

I arranged for facebook to be blocked on the house computers, as a consequence, as Ben is currently out of work and spends lots of time on facebook, slumped in a chair and doing not much else. (And just because his room is nowhere near where the draft from the fire blew through the house, so he does not “get” why I was so concerned/afraid that the house place was on fire.) He did not have to have ceiling fans on to clear his bedroom out so he could sleep.

So today I smell of smoke, by bedroom smells of smoke and the house generally smells yucky. I’m glad I’m at work.

Labels: , ,

Monday, March 02, 2009

Sock Roulette

My sock is posted ..... All the way to the USA. Despite everything, I remembered to put in the pattern and put my name of stuff. I'm getting older and more forgetful every day.